Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)

My cat has an abcess on her eyeball. The vet sewed the third

Customer Question

My cat has an abcess on her eyeball. The vet sewed the third eyelidto thetop one and is having me put antibiotic salve on it 3 times a day. Tonight it has swollen ant the third eyelid is red and stretched tight. I don't know what to do to save her eye.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 4 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for the question.

If you want to save the eye, I would get her to a veterinary ophthalmologist. A third eyelid flap has a high chance of failure when trying to heal these corneal wounds and abscesses. They're quick and easy, but they don't bring any blood vessels to the area that needs to be healed.

The best treatment, is a conjunctival graft. This is where a strip of tissue from the inside of the lower eyelid is cut and rotated over the defect in the cornea. It is then sutured directly to the cornea. That brings blood vessels and also allows the area to be covered. The eyes are not closed, and medications can be placed. With this treatment, there is a good chance of saving the eye.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.