Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)

My outdoor cat has a hurt leg. i can't tell if its broken or

Customer Question

hello pearl my outdoor cat has a hurt leg. i can't tell if its broken or just severley gashed, shes been inside for about 3 days now & ive been treating her leg & wrapping it once a day. i have absolutley no money for a vet since i am still paying off a previous vet bill for another animal. any advice you can give me is much appreciated!
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Did the cat have a fall?
Customer: im not sure exactly. she was g
JA: What is the cat's name?
Customer: gone
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Gone?
Customer: her name is ***** ***** was gone for a few days & came back with a hurt leg. its her left hind leg
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 4 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for the question.

If the leg is fractured, then you really need a vet to repair it or place it in a cast. If it's not fractured, then you can probably get away with at home care.

For an open wound, the first thing I'd do is use electric clippers to remove the hair around the wound. This will help keep it clean. You can then use saline or warm water with hand soap to flush the wound once daily. You can then place some antibiotic ointment like Neosporin or SSD (silver sulfadiazine) and bandage it. Keep up this daily bandage/ wound care and it should eventually heal up in the next 2-4 weeks.

If you need to give something for pain, you can use Aspirin- 1/2 of an 81 mg tab every 2-3 days.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.