Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)

I'm concerned about my Sophie, she hasn't eaten anything all

Customer Question

JA: Hi. How can we help?
Customer: I'm concerned about my Sophie, she hasn't eaten anything all day. She really hasn't done anything, no potty, no eating, job drinking, just sleeping however I did give her two cats treats early today, but that's it. I'm worried.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the cat will be able to digest that. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the cat?
Customer: She around 12 years old...
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 4 months ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.

I'm sorry for this concern for Sophie. I do have a few additional questions to ask about her first if you don't mind:

1. Can you tell me the color of her gums?

2. Can you take her temperature?

3. Any other symptoms such as vomiting, diarrhea, weight loss or change in her drinking habits of late?

There may be a slight delay after I receive your answers since I have to type up a response to you. Thanks for your patience. Deb

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Her gums are pink
How do you take her temp?
No other symptoms
There may be a slight weight loss, that I can tell.
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 4 months ago.

Thanks for the answers to my questions.

Gum color is normal which is good as is the fact that there are no other significant symptoms.

Taking the temperature in a cat isn't always the easiest thing to do, but you can take a rectal thermometer (any human one will do except for the ones you put in the ear), lubricate it with Vaseline or K/Y Jelly or a bit of cooking oil, insert it gently into the rectum about one inch and wait for it to beep (if the digital kind), otherwise leave it in for one minute.

You may need someone to help you, though. Deb