Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My cat has a swollen back leg : no : simba 17 years : no

Customer Question

my cat has a swollen back leg
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Did your cat have a fall?
Customer: no
JA: The Veterinarian will ask you more detailed questions to find out what is causing this. It might be a fracture. The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: simba 17 years
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Simba?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 6 months ago.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about Simba. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

Does he go outside at all? One of the most common reasons for a cat to have a swollen leg, is from an infection from being bitten by another cat.

The moderator is correct, a broken bone is a possibility. Will he put any weight on the leg? If it is a broken leg, he probably would not walk on it at all.

Infection or a fracture are the most likely reason. Another possibility is a blood clot in the leg preventing normal circulation but we usually do not see a lot of swelling with that.

Is he eating? Can you take his temperature with a thermometer? If this is an infection he might have a fever, 103 or higher.

Let me know what other questions you have.