Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)

My cats eyes look like a film from the bottom is over them

Customer Question

My cats eyes look like a white film from the bottom is over them and in the corner of one eye it is read and swollen
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Chris replied 4 months ago.

Hi there. My name is***** will do my best to help with your question. First I have a few questions to help me better understand your situation.

Is one or both of Simba's eyes affected?

How long have you noticed the problem?

Does there appear to be any squinting or discharge?

Would you be able to upload a photo here of Simba's eyes to help give me a better idea of what's going on? You should find a paperclip button on this page, and you can click on it to upload a photo from your computer.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Well, I am at work and he is at home so I will not be able to send a picture. He is an outside cat and I just noticed it yesterday. It is in both eyes and I researched it and saw that it was the 3rd eyelid, but his face looks a little puffy and in the corner of one eye, it is red.
Expert:  Dr Chris replied 4 months ago.

Okay, sure. Certainly, the pink membrane in the middle corner of each eye is most likely a normal third eyelid. Their role is to protect the surface of the eye, so the times you will see it come up over the eye are:

- when your cat is tired or sleeping

- when the eye is injured, sore otherwise irritated

- in some types of neurological disease.

​From your description, it sounds like Simba may have some injury or irritation to the eye. Was the red part localised like a spot, or more spread? Did it look like a bruise or bleeding? Do you have any other pets that he might play rough with?

If his whole face is generally puffy, I would be concerned about an allergic reaction such as to a plant or an insect bite, or sometimes even food.

Expert:  Dr Chris replied 4 months ago.