Dr Chris
Dr Chris, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Registered General Practioner

Just found out that our new kitty is pretty healthy, except

Customer Question

Hi, just found out that our new kitty is pretty healthy, except for th worms she is now excreting thanks to the proper medicines. She's been with us for a week already and I'm worried about my kids, since they have been holding and kissing the kitten like there's no tomorrow, then what if they got worms? Is there any thing I can give them just to prevent?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Chris replied 4 months ago.

Hi there. My name is*****'s good to hear that Misty Kitty is on the mend. I will do my best to help with your question.

​Depending on the type of worm she has/had, some can infect humans, while other can't. The risk and harm are not terrible, so I wouldn't be too alarmed. It would be a good idea to give her bedding and anything she has toileted on a good clean (normal hot machine wash for bedding is fine). This will help remove and kill any worm eggs that might have been in her faeces. I would change and wash the bedding once a week until 2-3 weeks after the Kitty has cleared the worms. You can request your vet do a repeat faecal exam after the treatment ends to make sure the treatment was effective.

It's always a good idea to get the kids into the habit of washing hands after playing with the kitten, and particularly before meals, but I do understand that this can be difficult to do in younger kids. If you can, it is also worth discouraging kissing of pets in general.

In terms of what you can do for your kids, unfortunately I am legally unable to give you any advice as I am a veterinarian and not a human doctor. However, I'm sure your local pharmacist would be able to direct you to some readily accessible over-the-counter worming medications for kids if you are still concerned.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thanks! It makes total sense .
Expert:  Dr Chris replied 4 months ago.

No worries. Glad to help!

If you don't mind, could you please give my answer a rating at the top of this page? Otherwise the website will not reimburse me for my time. Thanks.