Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.

He caught and swallows as if he's got something stuck in s

Customer Question

He caught and swallows as if he's got something stuck in his throat. This only happens when he purrs. It sounds like he's choking and now avoids situations that will make him purr. He's only a year old and this just started he loves to lie on my chest and purr but not anymore. He avoids anything that might make him purr. This only happens when he purrs. It's getting worse and worse. Initially it was just once in a while but now it's every time. He chokes and swallows hard but there's no foam. Help! I took him to the vet today and she out him on steroids. Of course
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the cat will be able to digest that. What is the cat's name?
Customer: he doesn't purr at the vet
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the cat?
Customer: I'm a smoker and he hates that.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 4 months ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. A laryngitis/tracheitis caused by the feline herpesvirus (FHV-1) should be the primary differential diagnosis in such a cat. While smoke may be contributory, infection is more likely but is expected to remiss unaided within 1-3 weeks. Steroids might reduce the inflammation a bit but risk exacerbating a viral infection. If he worsened instead of the expected remission, the steroids must be stopped and X-rays taken of his chest looking for the development of pleuritis or pneumonia. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.