Dani Rabwin
Dani Rabwin,
Experience:  Associate Veterinarian at Broadway Pet Hospital
94504053

I had a stray cat that came to my house in fall 2013 that

Customer Question

I had a stray cat that came to my house in fall 2013 that had patches of hair missing and scabs on the upper body and back and almost total hair loss on the abdomen. I thought the cat had mange, but I took it to the vet and it was determined that he was just a year old and had been neutered, and he was put on Magesterol. He did well well and by October 2014 he had a beautiful coat and maintained one through 2015. In early 2016 he started loosing his hair again while on Magesterol, and the doctor put him on Atopica for cats, and he has continuously lost his hair since then and is almost naked from the back down. I am at a loss and do not know what to do. The current vet doesn't want to put him back on Magesterol which worked before, but the Atopica is not working either and he has been on it for 3 months. The vet wants me to send him to a dermatologist. I am not sure what to do.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dani Rabwin replied 6 months ago.

Hi this is Dr. Dani and I'm happy to help answer your questions. It is so great that you have taken over care of this stray kitty! Megesterol is great at decreasing inflammation and reducing allergy symptoms, and we often see positive responses to this drug; however, the side effects can be great, and it sounds like the effects weren't long lasting, so I understand why, in a young cat, your vet preferred to have him on Atopica. If that is not working, there are other things to consider. Have you been consistent with a prescription strength (not an over the counter product) flea treatment? This is very important to do, even if you do not see fleas. Have you done a diet trial? This is 8 weeks of a prescription hypoallergenic diet that you can get from your veterinarian. A dermatologist is great idea, but before pursuing that, I recommend a strict diet trial, and a strict program of good quality flea control. After 8 weeks of these treatments, or sooner if the condition worsens during the trial, then a dermatology consult is certainly in order.

Please let me know if you have follow up questions.

When you are satisfied with your answer, please make sure to rate me as this is the only way I am compensated. Thanks and I look forward to hearing any follow up questions!

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
This kitty is in a flea free home and has been checked for fleas. He also is also on a urinary prescription diet since he had stones about 2 years ago and got stopped up.

Thanks for the follow up. I see that doing a diet trial will be difficult in a cat with a history of urinary problems. Given his history of concurrent problems (urinary and skin), then I understand why your vet suggested a dermatologist. A dermatologist will be able to perform testing to find out if the skin disease is due to an underlying environmental allergy. If there is an environmental allergy (pollen, house dust mites, fleas, etc), then they will be able to treat him accordingly. There is no test for food allergy, but if he does not have environmental or flea allergies, then food allergy is very likely. If that is the case, then your vet or the dermatologist can consult with a veterinary nutritionist that can suggest a diet appropriate for both lower urinary tract disease as well as skin disease.

Hi there I am just following up to make sure that you were satisfied with the information you received. If so, please make sure to rate me as this is the only way I am compensated for my time. If not, please let me know how I can further assist you.Thanks!