Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.
23511967

My cat has a piece of grass stuck in s throat which is

Customer Question

My cat has a piece of grass stuck in his throat which is causing him distress
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with your cat?
Customer: Just had a severe coughing attack and almost stopped breathing. Still acting like something is stuck
JA: Cats have coughing problems all the time but it is worrying. The Veterinarian will know what you should do. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: PoohBear and he is 15
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about PoohBear?
Customer: has allergies and has lost some weight
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 6 months ago.

Hi there, I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian who works exclusively with cats and dogs. I'm sorry to hear that PoohBear has had this scary coughing episode - I will do my best to help.

There will be a delay of 5-10 minutes as I type up my thoughts for you. You can reply at any time with additional information or questions.

~Dr. Sara

Expert:  Doc Sara replied 6 months ago.

Thanks for your patience!

While the presence of a foreign body in the throat can certainly cause a bad coughing fit, we more commonly see things like asthma or infections cause coughing in kitties. Just like people, cats with asthma can be completely normal for long periods of time but suffer acute (sudden) coughing episodes that can even be life threatening. If PoohBear is breathing with his mouth open or panting like a dog, that merits an immediate trip to an emergency hospital, as respiratory distress is not a symptom that I ever recommend "waiting out".

If there truly is a small piece of grass "stuck" in the back of his throat, he may have dislodged it with his coughing, or he may need some help to get it moving. If he will eat or drink, this is one way to help move something through the back of his mouth and throat.

Please let me know what he's up to now and what questions I can answer for you.

~Dr. Sara

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My goal is to provide you with the most complete and accurate “five star” answer. If my answer isn’t what you were expecting, it’s incomplete, or you have more questions please simply reply with your follow up questions. I would be happy to continue chatting. If my answer has been helpful to you, please show me by giving me a favorable rating. Thank you so much :)