Brenda Evans
Brenda Evans,
Experience:  owner/veterinarian at Evans Family Pet Care

Kitten, two months, sarcoptic mange, quarantine time a week

Customer Question

Kitten, two months, sarcoptic mange, quarantine time a week and a half, treated with liquid oral medication. The fur is fully grown back in the bald spots. She is no longer scratching hairstyles. Would it be ok for her to roam free in the house.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Brenda Evans replied 4 months ago.

Hi, my name is*****'m a licensed veterinarian and will do my best to answer your questions. I'm formulating my response now and will be back with you in a few minutes.

Do you have other pets in your household?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I know it's risky only after a week and a half of quarantine but she's a kitten and she doesn't seem to be showing any symptoms.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
She's already been treated for everything else and she has a clean bill of health. She only needed to kick this mange off of her.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I prefer to keep this conversation online please.

Sarcoptes mites generally do not live off the host for any length of time, so it's usually not a concern that your kitten will be contaminating the environment. I generally don't quarantine my patients with sarcoptic mange unless we're trying to prevent other pets from getting infected. You should be okay to allow your kitten to play in the house, but do follow up with your veterinarian to be sure the mites are completely gone before discontinuing the medication.

Does that help? If you have other questions please feel free to reply, even after rating. Please take a few seconds to rate my service, as I appreciate the feedback and it's the only way I get credit for helping you. Best of luck with your new kitten!

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Well she was actually a stray kitten. Who knows what are there animals she came in contact with. I'm finding out that sarcoptic mange on any cat is rare. But yes your answer does clear up a lot of things. And yes we will follow up with her next Veterinary appointment. Thank you so much.

You're very welcome! I hope you have a nice weekend!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Brenda Evans