Brenda Evans
Brenda Evans,
Experience:  owner/veterinarian at Evans Family Pet Care

14 days ago our cat had 2 stiches put in her tail cut. She

Customer Question

14 days ago our cat had 2 stiches put in her tail for a cut. She has been licking on the tail since but now she chews on it and the bone is exposed and of course it is bleeding. What can we do other than take her back for more stiches.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Brenda Evans replied 4 months ago.

Hi, my name is*****'ma licensed veterinarian and will do my best to help you with your questions.

I'm sorry your kitty hasn't healed well from her stitches. Are the stitches still in place or have they been taken (or chewed) out?

Do you have a picture of her tail and the wound that you could attach? It may help me give you better advice.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
the stiches are gone and I have no way to take a picture. The hair is gone about 11/2" from the end of the tail and the tail bone is exposed that far. It seems to bleed abit but not a lot. She is constantly licking or chewing on it.

Oh dear, that doesn't sound good. Pets are notorious for licking and chewing at places on their body that hurt or feel uncomfortable. Unfortunately, with the bone exposed as you're describing, the best course of action is to take her back to your veterinarian for further care. Depending on the damage, she may need part of her tail amputated. Ask for an elizabethan collar (or a "cone") to keep her from licking/chewing at her tail and any surgical repair that's been done.

Do you have other questions I can answer? I'd be happy to continue our conversation. If you would be so kind as to rate our conversation, I'd appreciate the feedback and it's the only way I get credit for our conversation. I wish the best to you and your cat!