Melanie Goble
Melanie Goble,
Experience:  Relief Veterinarian/Owner at Renewed Strength Veterinary Services, LLC

My cat was given prednisone, antibiotic, and awaiting oral

Customer Question

my cat was given prednisone, antibiotic, and awaiting oral chemo pill for a blockage in intestines....and cerenia for vomiting....gave it to him once and did not like reaction but was going to administer oral chemo pill today and gave him according to instructions 8 mg. of cerenia.....he is almost in a coma....everything I read says at 6 lbs. he should have only gotten 1.5 to 3 mg. how can I counteract this....
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Melanie Goble replied 4 months ago.

Hello, Deborah. My name is***** have been a veterinarian for 11 years. I am so sorry to hear that Slim has a blockage in his intestines. Are you giving the oral chemo at home or is he supposed to receive it in a veterinary clinic? I am concerned that he is non-responsive and almost in a coma. I would recommend taking Slim to an emergency clinic right away as any time there is an intestinal obstruction and an animal becomes almost comatose/non-responsive, there is significant risk of further complications, such as rupture of the intestines. Unfortunately, I can not give you an in home treatment to counteract the Cerenia. It sounds like Slim needs significant supportive care in a hospital setting.

If you have any additional questions, please let me know. If I have not met your expectations, please let me know where I can expand my answer to assist you. If you do not have any additional questions and I have answered your question to your satisfaction, please rate me so that I may continue providing and improving my services.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
He has been doing better. Steroids for 5 days plus antibiotic has helped him to move frim just tuna liquid ti wanting a few kibbles or a tsp. Of kd. Big advance today. I asked u to address the cerinia. Is he in danger? He got ar least 3x what he should have had. Should i let him sleep? Water? Give him extra pred. This texas storms are here now and at 68 im reluctant to druve across town, snd calling any other friends my age would be ti no avail. An ice pack? Please answer myquestions.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
When i rouse him it is just like when i brought him home after a 7 stitch skin surgery. Unstable. Fell off bed. Have him in bathroom. Please advise me. He has been ti 3 vets this week and another trip in this condition is ill advised esp. To the emergency roo that misprescribed this ti start with.hiw ling will this last?

I am very sorry that I did not answer your question fully the first time around. I did some additional research and a single overdose is generally self limiting, although checking blood work is recommended as there may be side effects to the liver and kidneys. The excessive tiredness may last for 24-36 hours. You also want to watch closely (when he awakens fully) that he is eating and drinking. Do not try to medicate or get him to take anything by mouth while he is in a stupor as that increases his risk for aspiration.

Thank you for giving me a chance to improve my answer. How is Slim doing this morning?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Meowed forv tuna juice. Gave the metra...
Antoobiotic liquud after juices as he missed it last nite. Was now subdued.

I am glad he wanted some tuna juice and food. Hopefully he will be on the mend soon. Did you have any additional questions at this time? Did I answer to your satisfaction the second time around?

Hello again. I hope that Slim is back on track. Please let me know how Slim is doing and let me know if I have answered your questions completely.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Melanie. I always am so complimentary to people. But cant be in this case. I think you are new and stuck on protocol. I asked you a very specific question about how to counteract a particular medicine or impact of medicine. What i received back from you was total cookie cutter with invitation to seek further clarity. Which i did at 11p.m. and you responded ar 7a.m. enuf admitting you only then looked it up. To say the least i was not happy and i have used this site once before. I even gave a tip ladt time i used this site. Frankly i wish i hadnt spent the money. Sorry

I am very sorry that I did provide the answer immediately for you and did not receive your reply until the next morning. I am new at this and am learning the ropes. That does not excuse the delay or the initial incomplete answer. I did give you the response that I believed was warranted as an animal that is non-responsive needs emergency care and there is not an in-home treatment.

I do appreciate your feedback as it does help me improve my services. I hope you have a good night, Deborah.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thats the only reason why i wrote it. It was obvious you were new and i intended it as feedback only.

Thank you.