Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.

I found my cat licking the bthrm floor where I had just

Customer Question

I found my cat licking the bthrm floor where I had just finished wiping a spot on the floor with Lysol bthrm cleaner with bleach. The bleach is aromatically prominent! She will lick rubbing alcohol too. What would make her want to do that??
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Terri replied 4 months ago.

Hi Sylvia,

Do you see any burn, sore of irritation on Zoey's mouth?

How long ago did she lick this?

Expert:  Terri replied 4 months ago.

Hi Sylvia,

If Zoey's mouth is free of lesions, the licking did not harm her.

Give her some milk to dilute any irritant.

Its difficult to say why she would lick caustic substance. Possibly a potassium or calcium deficiency.

If you give her a half ounce of milk every day that should satisfy her need for these minerals.

Please let me know how this works for her.

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback; that is the only way I receive credit for my assistance. Thank you very much!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed, at no additional charge.

Kind Regards,

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Terri - I have Silk soy milk for lactose
Intolerance. Would that be alright for Zoey? I'm thinking that maybe the soy would be easier on her digestive system. Awaiting your reply. Sylvia
Expert:  Terri replied 4 months ago.

Hi Sylvia,'

Soy milk will be fine for Zoey IF she likes it and will drink it.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had regarding your kitty? If you have other questions, please reply and I’ll help you further.

Once you're satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

Warmest best wishes,

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Zoey didn't get enough of the cleaner to hurt her.But I need to know what is wrong with her that would make her want to do that. Then I could work on making her better, before she gets in to something else. I've also seen her trying to lick the nozzles of the cleaner containers. She's an 8 yr old Siamese mix. Thank you.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
How much milk is enough calcium? You mentioned potassium. Could she be deficient there too? She's so finicky, I hope I don't have to think about trying to give her suppliments.
Expert:  Terri replied 4 months ago.

It sounds like a vitamin or mineral deficiency. Get a vitamin/mineral supplement for cats in any pet store.

If she is difficult to pill just add it to baby food or tuna and she'll eat it right up.