Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.

C I've an issue with my cat giving birth, she lost some

Customer Question

Hi Dr.C
I've an issue with my cat giving birth, she lost some water mixed with blood 24hrs ago, and starting to gasp for like 4 hrs after that, we thought that she is giving birth.
Then she went fine with behavior differences like meowing to the other cat with her, and she likes scrubbing on her stomach while she laying on her back and she always searching for a nest.
The weird thing other than that every thing looks fine with her.
Appreciate your help.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 4 months ago.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about Carla, and also sorry that you did not get help from an expert before now. I just came online and saw your question. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

How is she doing now? Do you still need help with her?

Do you know when she got pregnant; when the kittens are expected?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi Rebecca
Thank you for your respond, she is doing good but I'm worried, because we vaccine her while mating, we didn't know that she is pregnant. If the time is correct she is pregnant since 25th of March.
Not sure if she mated after that date.
Some times I feel she is tiered and meowing without sound, she always wants us near her.
Also her stomach a little small not that big for more than 2 kittens.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 4 months ago.

If she was mated on 25 th of March, she would be over due by now. Even if she is only pregnant with 2 kittens, she should be pretty big by now.

If she was vaccinated for distemper when she was pregnant, it can cause brain damage to the kittens. I hope that she got the vaccination before she was actually pregnant.

I would have her checked to find out if she is really pregnant or not, or continue to monitor her. If she mated a week after the 25th March, then she would be due about now.

Let me know how she is doing and what else I can answer.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thx again, it's seems it's giving birth time, my concerns about the water leak is it dangerous on Carla or the kittens life? it's more than 30 hrs since that.i'm afraid the kittens is already dead inside her.
Any inspection that I can do to check if the kittens moving or still alive?
Expert:  Rebecca replied 4 months ago.

There is really no way for me to tell if they are alive by exam and feeling. I would need to do an ultrasound to check if they are moving and if they have heart beats. The uterus around the kittens might be contracting, the intestines around the uterus may be moving, and you can't tell by feeling if the movement is live kittens or not.

If you are worried you should get her checked.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
OK, Thank you.