Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.

Always hungry, very thin, stool is yellow like a babies but

Customer Question

always hungry, very thin, stool is yellow like a babies but cat is still active
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:

How long has she had this diarrhea?

Has she had any check-ups with her vet about this or testing?

Does she drink more than she used to?

When was she last wormed?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
He has had this condition for some time, months. I took him to a local vet and was given a series of antibiotics for an apparent Lung problem.
Nothing changed.
This cat has always had digestive problems.
I was hoping to get a broader view of possibilities.
He has never been wormed and there were no signs in his stool.I'm sorry for my outburst email before, but I was unable to click on the result email. I left the original web page when it required me to select a monthly fee. I Just wanted one time answer, not a subscription.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Thank you,

No worries about that. After we have concluded our discussion and you have left feedback for myself, I will send this question to customer service in regards ***** ***** wishing for one-off aid so that they can adjust that for you.

Now in regards ***** *****'s signs, we do have a few concerns at his age. Especially if this has been a chronic issue for him. This is because as I am sure you can appreciate, diarrhea can be triggered by a range of issues in our older cats (just as in people). Common causes include bacterial agents, viruses, parasitic (worms but also protozoa like Giardia, Coccidia, Tritrichomonas), toxins (less likely here), pancreatitis, cancerous (ie GI lymphoma), inflammatory GI disease (ie IBD), nutritional, and general dietary indiscretions of the cat. It can be daunting to get to the bottom of which differential is to blame, but there are a few things you can try at home try and get them to settle.

With all this in mind, the first thing you can do is offer a light/easily digestible diet. Examples of this would be boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled eggs (made with water and not milk), meat baby food (do avoid the ones with garlic powder in the ingredients) or there are also veterinary prescription diets that can be used in cases of gastroenteritis (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity). These diets aim for provide nutrition to the stressed gut without making it work hard to digest the food. I would advise frequent small meals to minimize strain on the already stressed gut, and to help lower the volume of diarrhea. Further to this, we can also add fiber (ie canned pumpkin, 0.25 tsp unflavored Metamucil) to these easy to digest meals as they will bulk up stool and reduce diarrhea.

As well if Star hasn't been wormed, then it would be highly advisable to do so. That way haven't we can rule them out and ensure they are playing no role in his long term signs. Just to note, you can buy worming products over the counter (at the vets, pet stores, and some pharmacies). There are a range on the market, but you want to use a good quality wormer that covers both round worms and tapeworms. In this situation, it would be ideal for you to treat him with Panacur (this one especially since it will cover against some of the protozoa too) or Milbemax as it will cover all the worms in question. Do make sure to have an idea of his weight before purchase wormer to make sure you get the correct dose for his size.

As well, since diarrhea can cause dehydration over time we do keep a close eye on his water intake and his hydration. To check his hydration status to make sure your cat is not becoming dehydrated there are a few things we can test at home. One is whether the eyes appear sunken, if the gums are tacky instead of wet/moist, and whether he has a "skin tent" when you lift the skin. To see how to check these parameters for dehydration, you can find a wee video on this HERE ( They use a big dog but it makes it easier to see and the principles are exactly the same) If you are seeing any signs of dehydration already, then you do want to have your kitty seen by his vet before this gets out of control for him.

Furthermore, probiotics are a good treatment to have in place, but with his being runny, we'd be best to add in over the counter Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose @ available from your local pharmacy (avoid Pepto Bismol, Loperamide, or those with salicyclic acid/aspirin). Alternatively, you can also use a pet specific probiotic/kaolin combination product like Propectalin, FastBalance, or Protexin Pro-Fiber for him. These are all available OTC at vets, pet stores, and even Amazon). So, these would be better options then the probiotic alone at helping given his stool form.

Finally, I would just note that if we wanted to rule out infectious agents, you can choose to submit a stool sample to his vet even without having him seen or when he is in for a booster. This can be tested for those aforementioned concerns and help you narrow down the root cause for his signs. Depending on the findings of this, you may have a definitive cause that then can be treated to clear this for him.

Overall, we can see persistent chronic diarrhea in our older cats for a range of reasons. So, if he was only treated with a course of antibiotics and no fecal testing, we do have to be concerned that the cause has been missed. Therefore, we'd want to use all of the above to aid his digestion, keep him hydrated, and slow that loose stool. Otherwise, if this continues to linger, we'd want to consider having a stool sample +/- a recheck so that pinpoint the causative agent is and thus target treatment to effectively settle these abnormal stools.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.