Dr. Stacy
Dr. Stacy, Veterinarian
Experience:  7 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
21779527

My cat is having a bout of Constipation. This Morning he was

Customer Question

My cat is having a bout of Constipation. This Morning he was able to use his litter box. His poop did seemed dry, then in the afternoon it was more wet, less formed, and now he cries before using his box, and only poops a thick clear mucus, he keeps trying to use his box about every 30-40 minutes, but is unable to be relieved. Is there anything we can do to help him?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 6 months ago.
Thank you for your question. My name is***** I have been a small animal veterinarian for 14 years and I'd like to help with your question.
My first concern is that we don't really know if your cat is constipated. Constipated cats will strain and be painful like you describe, but cats with colitis will do exactly the same thing. Cats with colitis ( inflammation in the colon) feel like they have to go because that inflammation make it feel like there is pressure in the colon. It is also painful so they will strain and act uncomfortable. Both constipated cats and cats with colitis can pass some mucous, but colitis tends to be more associated with soft stool.
There is also the concern that some cats will strain because of urinary problems and it can look like they are trying to have a bowel movement. If you are certain that he has urinated recently and normally there are a few things that you can do that might help him.
First, with both colitis and constipation, the more fluid you can get into the intestine the better. I would try to get him to drink. You can use chicken broth or the juice drained from a can of tuna, but encourage water consumption. Second, fiber can also help with both problems.... So if you have some canned pumpkin cats will usually eat that and it can help. Third, probiotics are helpful. Either probiotics you get at a pet store or plain active culture yoghurt can help.
Beyond that... Any treatment really depends on whether this is constiapation or colitis. Colitis is often treated with antibiotics while cats with constipation need enema (warm soapy water, not commercial enemas) and these things need to be done by a veterinarian.
You can try the things that I suggested. If you do not see relief, then have a veterinarian look at him to do more.
I hope that helps, but if you have more questions let me know! If not, please rate my answer. Best wishes.