Jennifer Welsh
Jennifer Welsh,
Experience:  Veterinarian at Banfield Pet Hospital
2235453

All three have begun sneezing. One started, and the rest

Customer Question

All three have begun sneezing. One started, and the rest seem to follow suit. Also there has been an increase in hairballs and them vomiting up a little bit of their food.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the cat eat anything unusual?
Customer: No, they are all inside cats. Fixed, and up to date on vaccines. Is it possible for cats to get summer colds? Also two are newly adopted, and I think they might be the one vomiting because they do love the food bowl..lol
JA: OK. The Veterinarian will know what to do. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the cat?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Jennifer Welsh replied 12 months ago.

Hello! I am Dr Welsh and I am happy to help with your questions today. I am sorry that you are having some troubles with your kitties. Let's see if we can get to the bottom of this. You say there are newly adopted cats, how long ago did you acquire the new ones? Any previous illnesses? any discharge from eyes or nose? Any coughing or congestion?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
No discharge at all. The youngest (9 months) did seem a little congested, then it went away. They have a great appetite, and there has been no diarrhea.

How low ago did you adopt the new additions?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
A little over a month ago.

where did you adopt them from?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
The local animal shelter.

how often would you say they are sneezing?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
once or twice a day

So there is two possibilities that could be going on. One they could have what is called feline herpes. Basically it is something that is seen often in cats that come from large populations of other cats (catteries, feral colonies, shelters, etc). It is s virus that just hangs out in the system for their lives. In times of stress (new house, new addition, new food, etc), we can see that these pets can flare up and start showing signs of upper respiratory infection. the other possibility is if they are starting an upper resp infection without the herpes. However, it would be less likely since you have had them for a month.

Also, that infrequent of sneezing leads to believe it may be something irritating in the environment and not necessary illness.

are there any strong smells in your house (plug ins, carpet sprinkle, perfume, etc?)

If it is just once or twice a day I would recommend looking for any irritants in the house (strong smells, perfumes, plug ins, carpet deodorizer, etc) and try to eliminate them. Sometimes it can be the litter too if you use a brand that has a lot of dust (a lot of the clays can); If the sneezing continues to increase it may be time to get them checked out. If we are worried about herpes you can get lysine supplement (often made in treats) and give them according to the instructions. that will cut down on outbreaks and also decrease shedding the virus between pets.

Please let me know if there is any additional questions that you may have. Thank you for reaching out today. I hope that I have answered your questions completely. If you are happy with my service, please provide a rating when you exit so that the website can compensate me for our time (3* or higher). If you are having difficulties with the site rating, you can type excellent,good,fair. If you are not satisfied, I'd be happy to continue our conversation.

Expert:  Jennifer Welsh replied 11 months ago.

Just following up to see how the cats were doing? were you able to find any sources of irritantes in the house?