Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

Please advise me. My 12-year-old rabbit is disabled and has

Customer Question

Please advise me. My 12-year-old rabbit is disabled and has some matted fur on his right hip. The vet tried to shave it off 2 days ago and there is a small nick in the skin.
I noticed it last night and put a small amount of Silvadene cream on it to protect it since it is in close proximity to fur that can get urine on it.
Now I see that there seems to be some infection there...or possibly residual cream It's a very small area, 1/32 or 1/16 of an inch, pink around the edges, with white in the middle.
The skin is completely exposed, but will be in contact with the matt of fur which is not very clean.
Should I apply a little more cream to protect it or would it be best to let it dry?
I am taking him back to the vet tomorrow afternoon, but it's 1:00 am here now.
Thanks for any help you can give me.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

First, I am glad to hear that you are having Jimmy rechecked by his vet tomorrow. That way we can definitively make sure there is no infection or have them treat systemically with oral rabbit safe antibiotics (often better than topical options in this species) if there is infection present.

Otherwise, in the meantime, since you aren't sure if there is cream residue and it sounds moist, I would hold off on any more cream for the short term. We'd want to bathe the lesion (ie dilute chlorohexidine, salt water, etc) and can do so any time he contaminates the are with urine or feces. This will also help flush away any pus/infection and loosen any cream residue to allow you a clear view of this lesion. Afterwards, you can pat the area dry and give it a chance to dry out and start to granulate and heal until his local vet can have a check for him.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )