Melanie Goble
Melanie Goble,
Experience:  Relief Veterinarian/Owner at Renewed Strength Veterinary Services, LLC

I researching friend. Her vet is recommending B12 injections

Customer Question

I researching for a friend. Her vet is recommending B12 injections once a week. I am concerned as they are using cyanocobalamine and a benzyl alcohol solution.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the cat?
Customer: I know the cat has polyps in the colon and has some other issues. Difficulty passing stools which causes her to go off her food.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the cat?
Customer: I would like to know what company produces methycobalamine(injectable) that is available in Canada
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 4 months ago.

I am happy to answer questions about this cat and B12. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

B12 is only absorbed in a small part of the intestinal tract. If that section is inflamed, then no B12 is absorbed from the diet, and getting B12 injections about once a week can help maintain normal intestinal function.

B12 is cyanocobalamine; they are the same thing. It is like vitamin c and ascorbic acid; they are the same thing; that is the chemical name of the vitamin.

There is a small amount of benzyl alcohol as a preservative; that is how it is manufactured. If the cat needs B12 injections, this is the only form available as far as I know. I have been using this for over 40 years without problems, and it can be very helpful in cats with low B12.

Let me know what other questions I can answer about this. Was this helpful?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Not really. Cyanocobalamin and methylcobalamin are not the same. Once contains a cyanide group and the other a methyl group. Cyanide in any form is a poison.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 4 months ago.

I have been using the cyanocobalamine for over 40 years in cats and dogs without a problem. Cyanide is poison, but the traces of cyanide in apple seeds do not sicken dogs or people. This product would not have FDA approval if it were poisonous.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 4 months ago.

I just found this fact: cyanocolalamine is used to treat cyanide poisoning.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 4 months ago.

I am doing research on VIN, Veterinary Information Network. There are no reports of the product making animals sick, and it has been around for decades.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Just forget it. It's not recommended for humans therefore not for my cats.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 4 months ago.

As you wish.

Expert:  Melanie Goble replied 4 months ago.

Hello. My name is***** see that you are concerns about the injectable Vitamin B12 that is commonly used in veterinary medicine. There is a new oral form of Vitamin B12 that your friend could ask about. Is this something you would like more information about to share?

I apologize for my typo, I see that you are concerned, not concerns. Please forgive me.

If you would like more information, the oral form is called Cobalequin ( The studies done at Texas A&M College of Veterinary Medicine have been very promising for this medication. It has not been in use as long as the injectable form, but may be an alternative for your friend's cat.

If this has helped you and I have answered your question to your satisfaction, please take a moment to rate me so that I may continue to provide and improve my services.