Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

I just got back from taking my friend to the airport and

Customer Question

I just got back from taking my friend to the airport and found that my 11 week old kitten had knocked a bottle of pills off of the table onto the floor. It is Synthroid .15 mg. The cap came off, and pills spilled onto the floor. I have no way of knowing if she actually ate any, but want to be prepared in case she starts to throw up, or behave strangely. I guess that I should look up the address of the nearest vet.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the kitten will be able to digest that. What is the kitten's name?
Customer: Sage
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Sage?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 10 months ago.

I am sorry to hear about what happened with Sage. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

It is not as common for cats to eat pills spilled on the floor, as with dogs. Few medications taste or smell good enough to tempt them.

Is it possible to count the spilled pills and make a very rough guess of how many are missing?

If she did eat Synthroid pills, it depends on how many she ate to predict what to expect. This medication can raise her blood pressure, cause vomiting and diarrhea, and make her act hyperactive for a period of time. I would watch her to see if she is eating and acting normally, and if she still seems OK in 4 to 6 hours, she probably did not get any or at least not enough to do any harm.

Pleaes let me know how she is doing and what else I can answer.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
She has has quite a bit of water since I got home about half an hour ago, but is now napping, as is normal for this time of the day for her. Well, she had started to nap, but a noise outside just startled her. She is certainly not hyperactive.No way to guess how many pills because I am on a trip, so had poured some from one bottle into another so as not to take them all with me.I will watch her carefully and, in the meantime will research where a local vet would be. Do you think that there is even anything that they would be able to do if she did ingest one or more of the pills?
Expert:  Rebecca replied 10 months ago.

If she ingested only one or two pills, she will probably be fine. If she ate enough to cause symptoms, there is no antidote. The treatment would be "symptomatic": treat her symptoms until the worst is over. If her blood pressure got too high, or if she were hyperactive to the point of getting tremors or fever, we would give medication to stablilize her.

Knowing how hard it is to get a cat to take a pill, it is probably not likely she did eat any. Sleeping is a good sign. Let me know how she is doing and if this is helpful, kindly consider rating my answer!

Expert:  Rebecca replied 9 months ago.

How is Sage doing? If I can help with or answer anything else, please let me know. Kindly consider rating my answer to let the website know I assisted you.