Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

My cat has been sneezing couple of days now. Could he have

Customer Question

My cat has been sneezing for a couple of days now. Could he have allergies? He's never done this before.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long has he been sneezing?

Any nasal discharge? What color? From one or both nostrils?

How is he otherwise?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
He's been sneezing for about 4 days. The discharge is clear. Not sure if it's both or one nostril. No personality changes or in eating habits.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.

Thank you,

Now based on Dante's signs, we do have a few concerns. Allergies are possible but uncommon at this age. Instead, we'd be more wary of a flare up of a viral cat flu agent. Though if this were coming form one nostril then we'd also have to consider foreign bodies, polyps, fungal infections and nasty growths in the nostril.

Since his signs have just started and he is otherwise well, we can start some supportive care to reduce them for him. First, if he is sneezing and congested you can take him in the bathroom while you run a hot shower. The steam will help loosen and clear some of the congestion and snot. Alternatively, you can also use a baby nebulizer/humidifier. Though since cats don’t like things held up to their faces; we often will make little ‘steam tents’ with them in their carrier, a humidifier, and a light bed sheet over both to make a little steam room.

As well, if he is building up mucus that the steam isn't shifting, you can use a cotton ball moistened with warm water to wipe away crust and mucus. Also you can try non-medicated saline nasal drops (ie Little Noses, Ocean Mist) to clear his congestion. Tilt his head back and drop 2-3 drops in one nostril. Cats hate this, but it helps. After the drops go down, you can let the head up and wipe away any discharge that gets loosened. Then repeat with the other nostril.

As well, while I am glad to hear that he is eating well, we do want to keep an eye that that stays the case. This is because appetite loss is often very common in sneezing cats since they cannot smell their food. Therefore, if we do see any change, then we'd want to tempt him to eat with smelly canned foods as they are high in water and will potentially penetrate that congestion. As well, do try warming his food in the microwave to help him be able to smell it.

Finally to rule out allergies and as it is a mild cat safe decongestant, you can consider trialing Dante on a low dose of Benadryl/Diphenhydramine (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/diphenhydramine-benadryl). A low dose (ie. 0.25mg per pound of their body weight twice daily) can just be enough to reduce any allergic irritation and reduce congestion. We like to keep the dose low, since it can cause drowsiness (just like in people). And of course, this medication shouldn't be used if your wee one has any pre-existing conditions or is on any other medication without speaking to your vet first

Overall, Date's signs do raise some concerns. So, at this point we'd want to initiate supportive care to make him comfortable and monitor him closely. If he does start to have snotty discharge or you aren't seeing improvement with supportive care alone, then we'd want to follow up with your local vet. The vet can provide antibiotics against our bacterial concerns and rule out those other issues for him.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is the only way I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Believe it or not, Dante is no longer sneezing!
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.

Great news!

I am glad to hear that he has settled and that nasal tickle or viral flare-up has settled for him.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. B.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
He's doing great. I opened up the windows in my apartment and he still hasn't sneezed yet. I'm also wishing clothes that he laid on so I was wondering if the musty smell caused his sneezing.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Sorry, I am washing clothes that Dante laid on. Spelling mistake.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.

No worries,

I knew what you meant. :)

That sounds like a good action plan there. Hopefully, it was just a bit of nasal irritation from the clothes and we won't see this cause Dante any further bother.

All the best

Dr. B.

***Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )