Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.
55012488

I just found a wound (in a circle) on my Cat's back. No

Customer Question

I just found a wound (in a circle) on my Cat's back. No hair. It is seeping a pink colored liquid. Vet is not working today but I have some GenOne topical spray the vet gave me for the same cat for a skin infection. It says for dogs only. Is it safe to use?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 6 months ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

The spray contains propylene glycol which is toxic to cats when ingested and so best avoided. Can you upload a photo(s) of this wound to our conversation? You can use the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see the icon) or you can use an external app such as dropbox.com/ Perhaps I can tell you what the wound represents if I can see what you're seeing.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Unfortunately I can't provide a picture. She was in a cat fight last week and this may be a result

Yes, that makes sense. A bite wound abscess, then. There's no reason to treat these topically. They need to be surgically opened, drained, flushed, debrided (devitalized tissue removed), and a systemic antibiotic prescribed.

I regret that my state board of veterinary examiners doesn't allow me to speak to customers by phone in this venue but other experts in this category may be able to assist you in this regard. Please let me know if you'd like another expert to do so and I'll opt out of this question. Please stay in this conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you - I'll see my Vet tomorrow

You're welcome. I'm pleased to hear that she'll be attended to soon.

I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience.