Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine

We just rescued a 5-6 week old kitten and he crys when he

Customer Question

Good Morning. We just rescued a 5-6 week old kitten and he crys when he uses the box. The stool is solid, no sign of parasite but we haven't had the chance to get him to the vet yet as it is the holiday weekend. I was just looking for some suggestions as to what I can to between now and when I can get him in to be seen
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The noise must be worrying. I'll connect you to the Veterinarian. What is the kitten's name?
Customer: Tango
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Tango?
Customer: His eyes are clear, no fleas or ticks, his coat is beautiful and shiny, he eats wet can food and drinks kitten formula
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 4 months ago.

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 16 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.

This poor little guy! My top concern would be he has an intestinal parasite that is causing some irritation when he defecates. This is something I recommend we not have you try to treat over-the-counter, though. Some of our OTC dewormer cans actually worsen the problem. So, not a good idea.

His veterinarian really should do a stool check and find out if this is the case and then get you the appropriate, effective and properly dosed treatment (so don't forget to take a stool check in when you have him seen this week; perhaps tomorrow?). In the meantime, it might help him if we try to slightly increase the water content in his diet (make his stool moister so it might be easier to pass). Continue feeding canned food until he is seen would be an excellent first step. A smidge of canned pumpkin mixed in there may also help him to pass stool normally or at least more comfortably (maybe 1/8 to 1/4 tsp with each meal).

I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.

Please let me know if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.

If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.