Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine

OMGOSH by mistake I just gave my 3 year old Spayed Male Cat

Customer Question

OMGOSH by mistake I just gave my 3 year old Spayed Male Cat a full does of Revolution a week apart. I was late giving him his regular dose & I don't think he has ever had Fleas be ause I have been so on top of the Revolution, one night last week he started running around the house biting & itching at his hind end, (fleas I am sure). However he went into hiding & when I got up the next morning & opened my door to go outside he darted outside & stayed outside......he came back, but only with me looking for him, calling him & it took a good 1/2 to coax him I to the house, & it. Was then that I noticed he had ripped aBIG portion of fur that was matted ( I tried to cut it out of him many times but he wasn't having any of it) I did manage to get part of a dose of Revolution on him, this was on Tuesday. (a miracle). I meant right now to just give him a little bit to make up for what I missed & he's been in some distress & won't come in the house to eat, or sleep or see me (it's just him & I and has been us for 3 yrs. so we are Very Close....I hardly ever leave him to go away, I do but only for 3 or 4 nights maybe once a year, & once in awhile overnight at my daughters. He is my baby.....he has ripped out all his Matt's from his hind end & seem to be calming down over this weekend & even came in the house last night for a quick minute, but started twitching & even outside he has been twitching & he runs when he twitches. I have called a Vet to come here as there is no way he would get into my car right now as it is he has to be sedated when he goes to his Vet or when we have moved.....guess what; we move Thursday......yes in four days! I thought by givi g him the rest of his dose it might help. I need to know if he will be ok.....he's currently hiding under my bed ( he came in for 'his minute', it's when I had my chance) and I hear him moving, jumping perhaps......I am worried beyond, and I am sure he is allergic to flea Salivia, his dad was. What do I watch for, will he be ok, he is about 17 lbs., what do I watch for & I do have to go to bed....but before I do. please help me.....OMG I don't want to lose him. I know he will need antibiotics for ripping his fur out and being outside the possibility of getting infected.....but What Do I do about what I have done by giving him almost 2 doses of Advantage!!!!
I appreciate any help you could give me.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Please, I need an answer cat has not come out from under my bed...& he is not moving around
Very much.
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 4 months ago.

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 16 years of experience. I look forward to working with you. I apologize for the delay in an expert responding, but there are often not many available overnight.

You first mentioned Revolution and then Advantage. So, assuming you did give Revolution full dose a week apart, there would not be any significant reaction expected if the proper sized dose was administered. Perhaps, we may get a topical reaction but the drug is generally very safe, even though it is absorbed systemically. As for Advantage (as long as this is not the dog product which can be toxic to cats and was the cat product) the same is true and this drug is not absorbed systemically. For the topical reaction it is usually hair loss, maybe a small scab, in the location that it was administered. Rarely we may see twitching immediately after application when cats get an odd sensation but it resolves very rapidly (this is highly unusual for Revolution or Advantage), and if he has always done fine in the past with the drug, then it is highly unlikely to happen this time.

So, I would be more worried there is something else going on with him. Perhaps, he has a skin infection that is causing irritation/itching and the twitching. IF, however, he has full body trembling, then this is a medical emergency and you need to take him in to be seen, although I see that he is very tough to get into the vet. :( But if you do get him out from under the bed and he is twitching and profoundly lethargic, then it is an emergency and I doubt he will put up much of a fight to be seen today.

I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.

Please let me know if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.

If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.

Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 4 months ago.
Hi Kim,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Joey