PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

She's just started losing fur along her spine. : Kya 5 years

Customer Question

She's just started losing fur along her spine.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Kya 5 years old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Kya?
Customer: I have 3 other cats with no problems. All indoors only.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 6 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. I am a Veterinary Nurse with over 15 years experience and I have assisted in the care of many pets with this particular medical concern. It would be my pleasure to assist you today. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion?

1) What flea prevent is she on?
2) How often is it applied?
3) When was the last application?
4) Do you have a picture of the hair loss?
5) Any itching?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
She's not on flea prevention. Luckily I just don't have problems with them.

5) Any itching?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
She's not cooperating. The fur looks broken off and there's a small bump on one part. It doesn't seem to itch

We most commonly see hair being groomed off in this area due to fleas, although it sounds like you've never seen any. I would recommend purchasing a flea comb from a pet store and running this over her a few times to be sure you find absolutely no fleas in the fur that's removed during brushing. It's common to find a few during this season.

As a method of prevention, I would still go ahead and apply a topical flea product to her like frontline, advantage, revolution or an oral tablet like comfortis.

The bump that you're seeing could very well be a flea bite.

If this treatment does not work, there's a good chance that her behavior of grooming this area could be behavioral and I would then talk to your vet about the potential of using something like elavil, prozac or a similar medication for a few weeks to see if it helps with the behavior. Again, most cats groom this area due to fleas so that's always our first suspicion.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had regarding your companion? If you have other questions, please reply and I’ll help you further.

Once you're satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

How is Kya doing today?

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

PitRottMommy