Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.
55012488

I have a 10 week old kitten whose eyes are very red and it

Customer Question

I have a 10 week old kitten whose eyes are very red and it seems like the third lid is coming down. I live in the country and don't have a veterinary to take him to. I have Vetericyn and Terramycin, can I use either of these on his eyes? I also would like to state there are other kittens whose eyes are affected also but not to the condition of this one.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 12 months ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

Most of these eyes represent a feline herpesvirus (FHV-1) conjunctivitis which is usually self-limiting within 1-3 weeks. Both Chlamydophila and Mycoplasma bacteria can be the sole infecting agents or be present along with FHV-1, however, so if you have Terramycin ophthalmic ointment, it would be the ointment of choice for those bacterial infections. Dose 1/4" into each eye thrice daily for a minimum of 10 consecutive days. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
thank you so much for your quick response. do I need to wipe the eye first with a soft wet cloth?

It's always best to irrigate away any discharge before instilling the ointment. Vetericyn eye wash, artificial tears, or just water is OK. You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Thank you Dr. Salkin. One more question, I don't have the money to pay until Wednesday. Do I just rate you that day? I have no problem with paying except for that. I'm sorry.

I'm not sure how that works. I receive a portion of your deposit when you rate positively. Please contact***@******.*** for more information.