Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
14018973

I have a six and a half week old kitten that I rescued after

Customer Question

I have a six and a half week old kitten that I rescued after the mother was killed. I found her at five weeks, and since finding her she has problems pooping. She has a plug of poop that I can see she can't pass...she tries and tries, and can get some liquid out, but not the plug of poop. Have taken her to the vet and the have been little to know help stating the stool sample shows no parasites and that stool is supposedly soft....how can I help her pass this????
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infestations the kitten can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the kitten's name?
Customer: The stool sample shows everything to be normal.. I need a suggestion of how to help relieve the fecal plug
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the kitten?
Customer: She had this happen when I first found her, but I continued to wash her and keep the anus clean, the vet advised I put Desiton on her to help with swelling and irritation and she finally pooped...A LOT, and I thought the issue had passed. But a day and a half later she started straining again trying to poop. She is active and eats, but I have to figure out how to get her some relief to be able to relieve herself.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I paid your fee and your site will not except my email address. I am reporting if this if I don't get a refund for my $22 dollars.
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 6 months ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Bruce. Welcome to Just Answer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with a reply ASAP.

Did they do any medications for the lose stools? Did they see the plug of poop? I'm going to be honest and say that if there is liquid passing out, it would be very unlikely that there is a hard bit of stool that can't pass. Could this be the rectum prolapsing a little from all the straining? This would be a consideration I'd have. She may be one where a course of albon or metronidazole is needed to treat a bacterial overgrowth or cocccidia. Could there be giardia present as a standard fecal evaluation can easily miss this.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
She has been on the albon. And no, it is not the rectum, as I can see the poop plug. I took her back to the vet on Friday and the heartless women was nice enough to sweet the rectum and push out some poop and inform me it was soft and that it is normal for a cat to strain if they have loose stool. The same thing that had be stated to me before like I did not know what I was talking about.
When this happen before, she had finally managed for push a small out of poop that was solid, and then all the had been back up finally came out. She pooped normally for a day or so and then started straining again. She is very fluffy, so when she try to go to the bathroom and gets some very small about of diarrhea out, she has to been clean up. When I was her under warm water it stimulates her to try to poop again, and I can see the plug of poop, but she just can pass it. Is there anything that I can do to help her?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Is one reply to my question all I get?

This is very interesting. It just goes against what seems to be the typical situation. For one so young and small, it wouldn't seem that a laxative would be a good idea. Maybe a change of diets is needed to help get the intestinal tract environment to a more motile state. The addition of probiotics may be a consideration here. I would consider doing a fecal evaluation for giardia to see if that is going on. Again, the odd thing is that I just have a hard time believing there is hard stool that can't pass when soft stool is passing around it. Can you take a picture of what you're seeing?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
This is a little difficult to do with a very unhappy kitten. I will continue to try to figure something out.

One of the things to consider here is to get a second opinion up close with another veterinarian if you felt the first one didn't address things fully. In a situation like this, a change of diets may be something that helps the situation.