Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)

We have a healthy 12 year old cat. She was found as a feral

Customer Question

We have a healthy 12 year old cat. She was found as a feral kitten at 4 weeks and fit in your hand. Our daughter is a veterinarian and saved Boo's life. Since we got her she has vomited despite veterinarian care and food without grain. She also has always had crusty eyes. We've tried everything to no avail.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 4 months ago.

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 16 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.

She's 12 years old now! Wow. Great job rescuing her.

With regard to chronic crusty eyes, our most common cause of this is the feline herpes virus. Hopefully that is not new news for you. Have you already tried her on an l-lysine supplement and there are topical ointments/drops that can also be tried, if it is severe? There are also tests that can be done to confirm if this is the issue. There are certainly many other causes such as if she has an eyelid problem like entropion or ectopic cilia but that would cause far more than crusty debris at the corners but often chronic drainage.

Chronic vomiting can be a very frustrating problem, but I need to ensure this is a true vomit (there is heaving involved - she gets into the crouched position and makes the awful heaving noise) and sometimes it is bile and sometimes digested food. Not a regurgitation which usually occurs right after eating and is when a cat brings up undigested food. There is not much noise involved; it just happens. These are slightly different problems. What have you already tried other than special diets for the vomit issue? And how often is this occurring?