Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

Can you give a cat Meticam that has heart disease? He has an

Customer Question

Can you give a cat Meticam that has heart disease? He has an ulcer in his mouth which they gave him an antibiotic injection for last Thursday. He is a fifteen year old Himalayan person with no other health concerns. He is on atenolol & clopidogrel (12.5mg & 18.75mg) once a day. His mouth is bothering him - he wants to eat but doesn't - I think he is in pain. His breaths on rest are 16 per minute. He is an extremely nervous/frightened cat and attending emergency clinic may cause further problems. I would appreciate your advice. He weighs 4.1kg now he was 4.4 prior to the mouth ulcer??
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 10 months ago.

Hello Jenny,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

I am a small animal vet with many years experience with cats and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again Jenny,

Sorry to hear about your cat's problems, however I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. While the use of Metacam in cats is contentious for long term usage in most cases it would generally be safe to give Metacam to a cat with an existing heart problem provided you follow the dosing directions. This class of drug is unlikely to affect his heart or make his existing heart condition worse or interact with his existing meds.

2. Please follow this link for detailed dosing info : LINK

You may want to follow the dosing protocol for " Acute musculoskeletal disorders " on that page.

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Is there anything else I can do for the discomfort in his mouth?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I'm not sure if you got my next question - is there anything else I can do for the discomfort in his mouth?

Hello again Jenny,

Glad to talk this over with you further ...

The problem you face is that the likes of Metacam and aspirin { NSAIDs Non steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs } which are very suitable for dogs are not the best of drugs for cats and many vets now avoid them altogether. That said they are usually OK if they are prescribed with care.

More info on aspirin HERE

As I said Metacam and Aspirin may be OK for cats short term but to be honest your best bet would be a prescription drug from your vet.

Not a clear cut issue I am afraid.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again Jenny,

Please see my other answer to you here : LINK

Regards,

Dr Scott