Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My cat ate a piece of a dahlia leaf. Should I take her to

Customer Question

My cat ate a piece of a dahlia leaf. Should I take her to the emergency vet?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your cat will be able to digest that. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Sabra, 8 yrs
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Sabra?
Customer: No she was healthy her last vet appt
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 9 months ago.

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

I am a small animal vet with many years experience with cats and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again

I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. The situation is that although Dahlia species are listed as being toxic to cats this is a level level toxicity and all you would expect to see are mild gastrointestinal signs and perhaps a mild dermatitis. If these symptoms do occur it is not likely to be too much of a problem and they should soon pass.

2. If your cat is acting normally at present then you would be taking very little risk in just observing her for now and then contacting an ER vet if you become further concerned. Perhaps giving her some milk may help settle her stomach.

3. However I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if your cat's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Sabra is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the Dahlia leaf ingestion ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?