Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My cat just ate my dogs heartworm pill, will it hurt her?

Customer Question

my cat just ate my dogs heartworm pill, will it hurt her?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 8 months ago.

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience with cats and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. However before I can start I need a little more information to make things clearer for me so could you please answer the following :

1. What was the brand name and strength { In mg } of the heartworm med?

You can then expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so. We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype if this is more convenient for you. Please get back to me if this is more suitable for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Tri heart plus for dogs up to 25lbs
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
68 meg ivermectin 57 mg pyrantel as panoate salt

Hello again Carolyn,

I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. Good news! : Luna should be just fine and there are no special measures you need take in this sort of situation. This should not be toxic for her.

2. You see Tri-Heart contains two ingredients, ivermectin and pyrantel. The ivermectin component in this product is way below any toxic dose for a cat and pyrantel is also regarded as a very safe medication for cats. The chances are she will not show any symptoms of any sort after this accidental ingestion.

3. However as a precaution I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me in the unlikely event that Luna's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thank you so much. A phone call will not be necessary.
Carolyn

No problem with the phone call, Luna should be just fine ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again Carolyn,

I am just checking back in to see how Luna is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the heartworm pill ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.