Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

This is kind of a Hail at this point, but I suppose asking

Customer Question

This is kind of a Hail Mary at this point, but I suppose asking another vet won't hurt. We have a male cat, roughly 12 months, about 8 pounds. For the last few weeks, he's experienced lethargy, occasional sensitivity around his abdomen, and an occasional mild fever of about 103. He's mostly had a normal appetite, though he hasn't been drinking much water. Early on, he wasn't defecating much, but that's returned to normal, too. Two vets have performed physical examinations, and while his spleen was mildly enlarged, that, too, has subsided. He's gotten progressively weaker, and now has difficult moving more than 10-20 feet at a time. Neither of the other vets can provide a solid diagnosis, as even his blood work isn't too bad. We actually have scheduled an at-home euthanasia tomorrow, but maybe this is that one in a million chance that this rings a bell for one of you.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. It could be an infection. The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Sparky. The two vets have suggested an infection, but pinning it down has been difficult.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Sparkly?
Customer: Sparky, not Sparkly. He has mild CH, and came out of sedation deaf when he was neutered.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Alleyne replied 6 months ago.

Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I am hoping to help you with your cat today. Since I can’t physically exam your pet, I may need to respond with several follow up questions so I can best help you. Remember there is no limit on how many questions you can ask to in order to clarify any information I have provided regarding your pet. I just have a few initial questions to ask to gather some more information if you don’t mind? Have they tested for the following diseases such as Felv/FIV, FIP, or toxoplasmosis? Is he on any type of medications currently. Have they done any additional testing such as x-rays or an ultrasound?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
FeLV/FIV is negative, as is toxo. FIP hasn't been tested for, but our understanding (and both vets confirmed this) is that FIP can only be confirmed from effuse, and that's not present. X-rays did not show any issues, but we haven't done an ultrasound. He's on prednisolone (10mg twice a day). Blood work shows an elevated WBC (neutrophils 16,624 against reference 8500 max and monocytes 1085 against 600 max), high globulin, and borderline total high proteins. We've been told the WBC may be due to the predisolone, but it's hard to be sure.

Okay thanks for the additional information. As far as FIP cats can have the wet form or dry form. Sometimes ultrasound can detect the dry form of the disease. Was he placed on any antibiotics? If you were wishing to pursue any further testing then I would recommend pursuing an ultrasound to see if anything abnormal can be seen especially since the abdomen seems sensitive.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
He was given a 14-day antibiotic injection about three weeks ago. His abdomen is no longer sensitive; that was a relatively temporary situation.At this point, his ears and back feet are cold, and he is weak and dealing with pain. We have a vet from Lap of Love coming tomorrow to end that pain. As I mentioned in the initial contact, this was a Hail Mary.

Sorry to hear about Sparky and his pain. Looks like he was given a Convenia injection 3 weeks ago. And the prednisone would have covered any immune mediated diseases. At this point I would suspect an unusual virus, or a rare form of cancer that may be affecting Sparky. You may want to ask about having a autopsy performed on him if you are interested on what could be causing his signs .

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
He just urinated a fairly substantial amount. Over the last few weeks, his urinations that we've witnessed have been small, usually a matter of a tablespoon or so. This was much more, lasting around 15 seconds and leaving enough to soak down through four inches of litter. Out of curiosity, could that be a side-effect of Buprenex? (We had a syringe with 0.15ml from another cat that passed about three months ago from cancer, and used it this morning to deal with Sparky's pain.)

That is not typically a side effect of Buprenex. The most common side effect of Buprenex is sedation. It is possible that the Buprenex may be causing some pain relief allowing him to hold his urine a little longer thus explaining what you are seeing.