Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.
55012488

This question is . Salkin- So earlier, I asked a question

Customer Question

This question is for Dr.Michael Salkin-So earlier, I asked a question about a wound on Sprinkle's that I assumed was from him wrestling with our other male cat, Leo. However, since then, it seems to keep getting worse, and another bloody spot popped up and slowly became bigger, and now a tiny patch of fur is missing by his ear and a new, 3rd bloody spot has appeared.Is it possible it's actually a fungus or something other than a bite wound he's irritating? He's never had one this bad, and definitely never this many all at once.I took a photo of the 1st spot that has become pretty big. He flinches now when I try to put ointment on it.Does he need to see a vet, or is this just a typical irritated wound from playing too rough?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 6 months ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

Megan, these bite wounds - and I have to assume that's what they are - need to be opened up widely, irrigated with an antimicrobial solution such as chlorhexidine, debrided of devitalized tissue, left open to continue draining, and then a broad spectrum antibiotic prescribed. You can't treat these with topicals. The common ringworm fungi (Microsporum, usually, in cats) doesn't cause "bloody spots" nor is it painful. Bite wound cellulitis (inflammation of the tissue) and abscesses are painful, however.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Okay, sounds like it's time for a vet then.Thank you!

Yep. I'll be right over.