Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)

I have a female cat (neutered) who is behaving in a very

Customer Question

I have a female cat (neutered) who is behaving in a very strange matter. She is a large cat but not fat. The last few days she just wanders around the house, like she's searching for something. We also have an open stairway and she recently tried jumping through the back and the sides. She has never done this before. Usually she is very good about coming when her name is ***** ***** now doesn't respond. If you try and pet her she will just keep walking around the house. She is approximately 10 years old and has been in excellent health, she doesn't even pay attention to her sister, just wandering around in search of something. HELP
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 4 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for the question.

It almost sounds like she has lost some vision. I have seen this a handful of times in cats with hypertension. When the blood pressure is high enough, they can detach their retinas or have bleeding of the retinas. This can lead to temporary or permanent blindness. One of the presenting signs we'll see, is acute onset vision loss and then this pacing and running into things.

I would get a good physical exam with a retinal exam and blood pressure measurement. If that is the case, we can sometimes reverse the signs with blood pressure meds. If the blood pressure and vision is normal, then I would also run some bloodwork including a T4. This is to rule out kidney disease, diabetes, liver disease and Hyperthyroidism. These can all affect a cat's demeanor and lead to these abnormal behavior signs.

I know it's a lot of possibilities, but one of the above is likely to be found as the underlying cause. From there, treatment can start to get her back to herself.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** be losing her vision but she hasn't been bumping into anything and she has been getting through some tight spots through the furniture. It's like she is searching for something & doesn't react to her name.
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 4 months ago.

I'm sorry for the wait. I was on all weekend in the ER.

It may be Hyperthyroidism then, as those cats can have some strange behavioral type signs. That would be my main rule out.

Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 4 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?