Dr-Bonk, Veterinarian
Experience:  Five years as an associate veterinarian working with pets and treating feral felines.

We have been moving oh so slow on getting Blackie ready to

Customer Question

We have been moving oh so slow on getting Blackie ready to be spayed. On one hand I was hoping we could wait until she was out of heat, but I feel she is spending too much time Ali W in the basement. She comes up for food at night when I am
Asleep I leave the basement door open and she comes up for food and water. She has let me see her twice and I think she is lonely.
I have left the guest room open so she can roam around on there. She has not had any shots yet- should I not let her roam around. If my cat, Tara, and Blackie meet is it dangerous for Tara regarding the shots issue? Hoping this weekend to fives on Blackie and take her to the vet on Tuesday.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 5 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. It does not appear that Dr. Bonk is on at this time. I understand that the two of you have been working together in the past. I am a Veterinary Nurse with over 15 years experience and I have assisted in the care of many pets with this particular medical concern. It would be my pleasure to assist you today if you would like my help. If so, please respond to the questions below as I need more information:

1) Has she been tested for Feline Leukemia and Feline Aids yet?
2) Do you know when she was last vaccinated (if ever)?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Is it possible to still work with dr bonk? Due to her knowledge of the history of the case.

I can opt out and leave your question open for Dr. Bonk. We just don't know how long it will take for each professional to log on, so there may be an extended wait.

Just so you know, your past conversations are accessible to other experts so that they're also aware of what is going on. I'll opt out and hopefully Dr. Bonk will be along soon.

Expert:  Camille-Mod replied 5 months ago.
Hello,I'm Camille, and I’m a moderator for this topic. I sent your requested Expert a message to follow up with you here, when they are back online.
If I can help further, please let me know. Thank you for your continued patience.
Expert:  Dr-Bonk replied 5 months ago.

Good morning. Tara could be at risk since you don't know Blackie's history, although, if she were carrying any kind of disease, chances are you would have seen some indication of it by now. Especially with the stress she has been under. I worry more about the stress it would cause Tara to see Blackie in 'her' house. However, if you decide to give a meet and greet a try, the best thing to do is to let them see each other, but have a barrier in between, such as a screen or window. That way if they decide to try to attack, they can't get at each other.

Expert:  Dr-Bonk replied 5 months ago.

You never know, maybe seeing another cat is exactly what Blackie needs. I'm sorry, this doesn't really answer your question. If it were me, I would try letting them see each other with the barrier in between, for example have Tara in a room with the door open, but a screen blocking her from getting out, and let Blackie have access to her. This would prevent contact between them to prevent disease spread and fighting.

If either one gets extremely upset, discontinue.

The other thing to consider is, Blackie may not really settle down until she is spayed and it might be best to get that extra stress out of the way.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thanks! Will try all :-)
Expert:  Dr-Bonk replied 5 months ago.

Good luck! Have a great weekend!

Expert:  Dr-Bonk replied 4 months ago.

Hello! Just thought I would check on Blackie's progress. Were you able to get her spayed?