Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)

Okay so here it is: My cat is almost prancing (basically

Customer Question

Okay so here it is: My cat is almost prancing (basically steping side to side) on her back legs. It almost looks like she's dancing, but only with her back legs and tail. She is being very sensitive when you touch the back of her legs, and around the base of her tail (which is unusual for her). I checked in her liter box, and there is tiny bugs crawling around in it. I can clearly tell that they are not fleas, or ticks. I decontaminated her liter box, and washed around the base of her tail & bottom with lukewarm water (I assumed that the bugs were biting/irritating her so I tired to wash them out if any were currently there & also to help sooth the irritation). It seemed to help at first, but then she went back to the "prancing." She continues to lay down with her bottom in the air and I don't know how to proceed. What do you suggest doing? (Sorry this is so long.)
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 5 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. I am a Veterinary Nurse with over 15 years experience and I have assisted in the care of many pets with this particular medical concern. It would be my pleasure to assist you today. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion?

1) Is Simba currently receiving any flea prevention? If so, what and when was it last applied?
2) Do you have a video showing what she is doing?
3) Is she still eating and drinking?
4) Do you see any irritation in her skin where the bugs may have bitten her?
5) Is she grooming her back end?
6) Is she spayed?