Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian

Our cat is male 8.50 pounds, has broken s back leg and we

Customer Question

Our cat is male 8.50 pounds, has broken his back leg and we have been giving him antisedan 0.5MG/ml
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Did the cat have a fall?
Customer: Our cat male 8.50 pounds broke his back leg , been givi g him BUPRENORPHINE 0.3MG/ML EVERY 6 HOURS, UNFORTUNATELY WE WILL RUN OUT AT 10:pm and waiting to here from vet to comferm his amutation, have at home tramadol HCL 50MG how much can he take and doses thsnk you
JA: What is the cat's name?
Customer: Shadow
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Shadow?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 5 months ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Bruce. Welcome to Just Answer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with a reply ASAP.

I'm sorry to hear about Shadow's injury. So if I understand this correctly, he's going to have that leg amputated by your vet here tomorrow? You're just trying to find a way to keep him comfortable here tonight till that is done tomorrow?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Well were not sure it will be tomarrow left 3 message for the manger, and its after hours sooo im thinking it might be monday so I guess its a know a, so my check wont be here till the first, with visit and xrays Iit was my last 300.00 dollars
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Confermed for surgery tomarrow
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Are you still there

I'm sorry for my delay as a couple cases pulled me away. There is a dosing of tramadol listed in the drug formulary for cats. I've personally not used it as I've always used the buprenorphine. Tramadol is another opiod that could provide some relief. When it is used in a cat around 8.5 pounds, the dose would be 1/4 of a 50 mg tablet orally every 12 hours. In his situation, the best thing that you can do for discomfort is to literally keep him confined in an area where he can't be that mobile. A large crate can work well for this. The more restricted he is, the less stress / discomfort from that fracture being moved.