Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My 12 year old cat has been loosing weight, months and much

my 12 year old cat has been loosing weight, for 6 months and much more since beginning of april. He now has 2 lumps either side of chin and raspy breathing. He does not have lymphoma. He hasn't been eating or drinking 4 days. He hasnt had blood or urine done yet. His one eye recently is dialated. Dont have much money and am wondering if its worth pursuing with more tests. He was overweight before he started loosing weight.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Ana Bascunan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I would be Happy to try and help you with your question.

To make sure I understand fully, can you explain to me what tests you have had done for him? Has he been recently examined by a veterinarian?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
did you read my question. I said that he had a lymphoma test done. that is all to date.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I dont know what is going on. did you get my question and information?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just spend more than 15 minutes explaining the situation. Pls. answer, did you receiv e it.?

Yes, sorry, I was wondering how specifically lymphoma was ruled out. I apologize for not being clear. I understand your question to be how much further should you pursue testing given financial constraints and his declining condition?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
By a biopsy, yesterday

Ok, thank you. And what additional tests has your veterinarian recommended at this time?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
blood and urine. Then depending on the outcome, more treatment, some very expensive.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How many people are you answering at this time. It has 25 minutes since i started. You dont seem to be paying attention. I am not satisfied with this lack of interest. Please forget and not accept paypal. Gail Parker

I agree with your veterinarians recommendations, but I also acknowledge that not everyone can afford these tests (especially because testing doesn't actually help your cat, it just hopefully tells us what we need to do to help them). So if your budget is tight, I recommend discussing treatment options (we call it empirical therapy, which means we are kind of guessing at the underlying cause and giving medications we assume would help an average case of this kind). Your cat may benefit from a course of steroids, or antibiotics, or pain medication, for example. Are you feeling like empirical treatment may be an option for you? Are you concerned about his quality of life and considering euthanasia?

I'm sorry Gail I was just answering you at this time. It can be challenging to have a discussion of this type over the internet. I want to make sure I convey empathy for your situation while also providing you with information you may need.

I'm sorry I didn't meet your expectations. Good luck with your cat!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is not at all helpful. Please\ return my money. Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I could have provided that information myself. I dont think I am talking with a certified vet. Just wasted more time.

Gail I assure you that I am a licensed veterinarian. I am new to this program, so I apologize for not meeting your expectations. I truly want to help you and your cat and am happy to keep talking to you, if desired. I'm also trying to figure out how to refund your money. I think you might need to reject my answer?