Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.

We have 2 American Short Hair Cats that we adopted and they

Customer Question

Good Day, we have 2 American Short Hair Cats that we adopted and they said they were "pair bonded" so took both. We keep them indoors (I have never had indoor cats before). They received shots at the adoption place and we took them for their next follow up shots. Unfortunately, my little girl, Reesie Rene, was a sickly kitten with stomach/digestive issues and will not let anyone pick her up. Goes "Linda Blair" on me, I have battle scars. I have placed a new carrier in the family room and used the spray, she will get in there finally and nap but if you go towards the carrier - out she comes in a flash! My son suggested I have a mobile vet come to the house, our cats do not like anyone but us and when people come over they freak i.e. Marco Polo throws up and has panic attacks, staying in the back bedroom until everything is quiet and/or people leave. Reesie will eventually come out but if they look at her she's outa there. They are both behind on their shots and because of Ressie's diarrhea issues (I've changed their food to Iames) they need to be seen. I'm afraid of bringing someone to the house since it is their safe haven but can't get them into a carrier. Any suggestions? Thank you so much! Cindy
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Terri replied 5 months ago.

Hi Cindy

Bless you for adopting them as a pair! That is awesome!

Are they 4 years old now?
What shots do they need?

Does Reesie still get diarrhea?

Have you wormed them?

Do they both eat only dry food?

After your reply please give me a few minutes to type detailed answer.

Expert:  Terri replied 5 months ago.

Dear Cindy,

I understand your concern. Esteemed authorities now believe indoor cats that have no exposure to other felines do not need yearly shots. You can get them 3 year rabies which I recommend for indoor cats as well as those that go outside.

If you want the FVRCP that is a yearly booster. That protects against airborne virus.The do not need FeLV vaccine because they will not be in contact with positive cats.

I agree with your son that a mobile vet is the way to go in your situation. Most of them are quite experienced dealing with temperamental kitties. Just tell them on the phone how your cats behave around strangers and I promise they will take extra care to arrive with kid gloves.Your fur babies will do just fine because the vet will be in and out before they even realize what is happening. This is definitely preferable to stressing them out with a car ride and a visit to a vet office.

Please let me know if you wish to discuss this further and I will be here for you.

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback; that is the only way I receive credit for my assistance. Thank you very much!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed, at no additional charge.

Kind regards,

Expert:  Terri replied 5 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Reesie Rene. How is everything going?