Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

M y cat has just had a kitten She cried out I found her

Customer Question

M y cat has just had a kitten She cried out for me I found her kitten separated from her and the umbilical cord still attached and not moving or breathing. I stimulated the kitten and had to remove the placenta. Mom is happy to let me do the work. She presents herself but the kitten will not latch on to a nipple. It is the middle of the night and I am worried
Submitted: 10 months ago via KittenCare.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I am sure there are more kittens to come. She delivered the first around 3A.m. It is now 5;40. kitten is alive and well, but unable to nurse and is crying. My mom is happy to let me take over.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
We heard that the fact that I took care of it right after birth and she is not licking and caring for her kitten is why her milk is not coming
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I am out of my element here. I had a cat before and she totally cared for the birth and post birth
by herself
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
When I left the room, just to go to the bathroom, Smokey(mom) followed me and left her kitten. She needs to bond with this kitten. I am so confused and worried that my intervention caused the problem....
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 10 months ago.
Hello and thank you for your question. I am a Veterinary Nurse with over 15 years experience and I have assisted in the care of many pets with this particular medical concern. It would be my pleasure to assist you today. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion?1) How are mom and the baby doing now? 2) Have any other kittens been delivered? 3) How old is Smokey? 4) Has the kitten begun consuming milk yet? Is any milk present?