PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

Behaviour question. Female 3 yrs DSH, Always the affection

Customer Question

Behaviour question.
Female 3 yrs DSH, Always the affection is on her terms, will sleep on my lap and on my bed, lots of nudges and rubs but dont do it for to long, has habit of ankle biting or trpping up with both legs. Why I dont know. Sometimes I think it is just to get attention but still does it when we are talking to her. She gets dry cat food and some Stk /rabbit every day which she eats all. Any ideas on the ankle biting ?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 6 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. I am a Veterinary Nurse with over 15 years experience and I have assisted in the care of many pets with this particular medical concern. It would be my pleasure to assist you today. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion?

1) How long have you owned Lari?
2) Does she have a housemate?
3) Do you know her history? Was she bottle raised? A kitten in a large litter?
4) Is she declawed?
5) Does she have scheduled playtime?
6) What toys does she like?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
1. 2 years
2. no housemates, she hates other cats. I'm the housemate
3. Have no knowledge of how she was raised
4. Not declawed. I would never do that to any cat
5. All day
6. Me, A brush, tried all sorts of toys, she's not interested, plays with the mice and rats she catches, a great hunter.
When I go out she waits for my return and rolls on her back with a little meow which sez come on give me a rub. not a good idea, I have done. very sharp claws and teeth.

It sounds like you are battling some redirected playful aggression. The reason I asked about how she was raised is that kittens who don't grow up in litters (if they're raised alone or hand raised) don't learn how to be gentle. They never learn what hurts other cats and people, so they only escalate their efforts when they try to play. Additionally, and thank goodness she's not, declawing can increase aggression too. So, while we can (pardon the pun) scratch the declawing off the list we still have to worry that her upbringing may have something to do with her aggressive tendencies, as well.

Unfortunately, her preferences of being the only cat in the household and only using you as her playtoy is setting her up for failure as she's going to only seek attention from you and when she doesn't get enough (or too much, in some cases), she's going to be aggressive. This can become cyclic.

There truly are a thin margin of cats who dislike other cats. One thing to know is that cats are pride animals and tend to live in large groups, so it's uncommon for them to dislike other cats. This said, it's very easy to read into two cats meeting one another and seeing aggression there and thinking that neither cat likes other cats. This isn't the case, however. While most cats enjoy the company and ability to play with other cats, they do not like change in their environment. They truly are the introverts of the animal world. I would leave the option of getting a young cat that likes to play hard on the table, if you're able and open to having more than one cat. A playful, young male that can handle her aggressive tendencies may be exactly what she needs.

Let's discuss toys a little further. Can you tell me more about what you've tried? Laser lights? toys with cat nip? Does she having a tree she can climb? Is she able to watch birds and such outside? Does she like teasers at all?

Checking in. I can help you further if you'll give me some additional information as posed in the question above.