Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

Female 3yr.old tuxedo not socializing eating or drinking

Customer Question

Female 3yr.old tuxedo not socializing eating or drinking last night and no litter waste at all ?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Read the message name is Wicked
JA: How old is Wicked?
Customer: 3
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Wicked?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am sorry to hear you are worried about Wicked. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help. Does Wicked go outside at all? There are many things that could make a young cat stop eating and drinking, and not urinate or defecate. Is Wicked a male or female ( I can't see that anywhere in your message). Young male cats can get blockages in the urethra, and cannot pass urine. This is serious, these cats need emergency catheterization to let the urine out of the bladder. He may have a fever, infection, and if he is not urinating at all, he may be dehydrated. Can you take his temperature with a thermometer? If you check his gums, are they pink in color? If his gums look pale, then he may be in need of medical attention. Try to get him to take any fluids you can: water, broth, tuna juice. Dehydration will make his condition worse. If I could, I would begin with a good physical examination: take his temp; listen to heart and lungs; palpate internal organs and lymph nodes. If he does go outdoors, I would feel around his body for a fight/bite infection. If his gums were pale, I might consider fluid therapy, and some basic blood tests. If he had a fever, I would start him on antibiotics and a fever reducer. If his bladder felt enlarged, I would be concerned he is one of these male cats with a blockage that needs to be catheterized. There really are no safe over the counter drugs you can use in cats. Tylenol is pure poison, for instance. Check his gum color, let me know if you can take his temp and what you get. You can check him for dehydration by gently pinching skin over his shoulders and letting go; the pinched skin should be back in position in less than one second. If it takes longer, he is dehydrated and needs fluids. Let me know what other questions you have.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also She vomited 4 times in the last 3 days once again the cat is a female.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Never goes out side....
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
I do see now she is a female! That is great news; that removes a possible urinary blockage. Vomiting can indicate an intestinal blockage ( cats will eat string, yarn, etc sometimes and that can bind up the intestines, for example. It can also be from infection and parasites but that is unlikely since she does not go out. You can try famotidine for vomiting, 2.5 mg once to twice daily. Are her gums pink? Did you test for dehydration? If she is not urinating or defecating, I am worried she is dehydrated. If she goes too long not urinating it could shut down her kidneys. The best thing would be to have her checked out and given hydration at her veterinarian if she does not start to drink soon, or if her gums look pale not pink.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Could she have eaten anything she should not?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, she does however like eating any bug she she can capture.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Usually eating a bug will not make a cat sick. Can you tell me if you can take her temperature, if her gums are pink or pale? Can you do the dehydration test?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Doesn't appear to be dehydrated .
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Good she is not dehydrated. Are her gums pink? Can you take her temp?Since I can't see and examine her, the more information you can give me, the more I can help. About all you can do at home is try the famotidine (Pepcid AC) 2/5 mg for vomiting, and try to get her to take fluids.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Getting thermo now only have a oral type glass merc type how long do I leave it in rectum.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
About half a minute, and hold in in about a half an inch. Sorry to keep saying it, but it is really important, the first thing I check on any sick pet: Are her gums pink?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will that work.? Sorry your application keeps kicking me off site.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Will what work? I just answer questions for the site and can't help with any site problems. You can contact the website moderators on the drop down menu for any problems you are having. Sorry, but please let me know about her gums. The gum color indicates state of hydration, circulation, how stable or sick she might be. It really is the very first thing I check when a cat is sick.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
104 rectal temp urinated in litter box immediately after removing thermo.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
104 is a high fever. She may have an infection, and need antibiotics. Normal is less than 102. Good that she urinated, but it sounds to me like she needs to see a veterinarian.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yeah gums are looking pale not a healthy pink.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
I think she needs to see your veterinarian. I am worried about her.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Let me know how she is doing and what else I can answer. Was this helpful?
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
How is she doing?
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?