Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

My 4 month old kitten was fed this morning. And he hasnt

Customer Question

Hey there. My 4 month old kitten was fed this morning. And he hasnt eaten since. I had left some biscuits out for him didnt eat it.
Fed him tonight what we usually do and he hasnt eaten. He is usually a big eater and loves his food. His stomach does feel full and bloated though. He has drunk a fair amount of water and i have scruffed him and his skin bounces back quickly.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. Any retching, gagging, lip licking or vomiting?Any coughing, sneezing, congestion, or breathing changes?Are his gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?If you press on his belly, does he have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?Could he have eaten something he should not have (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, etc)?How long ago was he wormed?Has he been passing urine and feces normally?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
He has been wormed frequently
None of the above
His gums feel a little sticky but nothing wierd.. just like touching my own. He last meal was this morning and he still feels very full
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
He just did a wee and i cleaned a poo out of his litter not sure if it was from today though
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
Thank you,Now I am glad to hear that he hasn't any of those more serious signs I asked about. Though if he is a food loving kitty and suddenly isn't keen to eat, then we need to tread with care. This is because we could see this lapse in appetite due to a bit of constipation but also a brewing gut infection, respiratory tract infection, or secondary to something he may have eaten.With this all in mind, we can try some home supportive care to get him eating. First, if he feels distended and may not have passed stool today, we can start by ruling out constipation. To do so, you can start giving him small does of OTC cat hairball treatment (ie Catalax, Laxatone). You can also even try a bit of cow’s milk to help get things moving (though do be aware it can give them a bit of diarrhea if they aren’t constipated).As well, we can address any low grade nausea and stomach upset with an antacid. Common OTC pet safe options would be: Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid or Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet). Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if he has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Once that is on board, we can try tempting him to eat for us with a light/easily digestible diet. Examples you can use are boiled chicken, boiled white fish, or scrambled eggs (made with water and not milk). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. And if he perhaps is a bit congested, you can warm this in the microwave to help him smell it better. Overall, when a kitten suddenly goes off food, we need to be careful. They don’t have the body reserves of an adult, so this can lead to them feeling unwell quite quickly. Therefore, we’d want to cover the above bases to see if we can get everything moving as it should and get him eating again. Of course, if he doesn’t perk up with the above over then next 12-24 hours (since he is wee); then we'd want to get his vet involved. They can assess his hydration, rule out fever, make sure there is nothing in his stomach that shouldn't be there or any sinister viruses present. Depending on their findings, his vet can treat him with injectable anti nausea medication, appetite stimulants +/- antibiotics to settle his stomach, and get him back feeling like himself. Please take care,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )