Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.
55012488

There is a stray cat that turned up at my house she is

Customer Question

There is a stray cat that turned up at my house she is covered in what seems to be ulcers
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 6 months ago.
You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer.
Denise, can you upload a photo(s) of representative skin to our conversation? You can use the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see the icon) or you can use an external app such as dropbox.com/ I can be more accurate for you if I can see what you're seeing.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Please see attached
Thank you! Those certainly are ulcers (which are following the granulomas I see on her head) which are uncommon and nonspecific lesions in cats. They often arise subsequent to a vesicle or pustule caused by infection or autoimmune skin diseases. The list of differential diagnoses is quite extensive and will require skin biopsy and culturing to be definitive. They include:Fungal/yeast infections: candidiasis, sporotrichosis, blastomycosis, neoporosisAutoimmune skin disorders: pemphigus vulgaris, vasculitis, epidermolysis bullosaHypersensentivity reaction: eosinophic dermatitis, plasma cell pyodermatitisFeline idiopathic ulcerative dermatosisNeoplasia (skin cancer)A stray with an unusual skin condition found you! Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** her to the Vet last night and due to the amount of ulcers and lesions the treatment would be extensive and they could be cancerous as well as her immune system was so weak she probably would not survive the operations etc we mad the decision to put her to sleep. For a stray she was so loving.
I understand. Thank you for taking the time to let me know. You may receive an inappropriate follow-up from the site ostensibly sent by me. It wasn't and I apologize in advance should you receive it.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?