Jess K
Jess K, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Licensed Veterinarian
89827615

I just took my black 5 yr old cat to the vaccine clinic. He

Customer Question

I just took my black 5 yr old cat to the vaccine clinic. He got all of shots. When we got home he threw up and wanted to go out. We let him out which was probably wrong, but he came back in panting. Ive wrapped him in a wet towel, tried to get him to eat or drink which he wont. He is still panting and meowing in distress.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Jess K replied 6 months ago.
Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I am very sorry to hear about your kitty! Can you tell if there is any swelling to his face? If you look on his belly, are there any hives (raised skin welts) present?Some of the symptoms you are describing are things we can see with allergic reactions to vaccines in pets (vomiting, trouble breathing), and I am concerned this could be the case with him. Other symptoms are facial swelling and hives. Even if he does not have facial swelling or hives, if his breathing does not improve after being indoors, I would recommend bringing him back up to your vet if they are still open (and if not, to an emergency clinic) for them to check him out. We usually treat these guys with a combination of injectable steroid and antihistamine. The safest thing to do, it bring him back in if he isn't back to normal very soon. The longer we wait to treat these guys, the more risky a situation it becomes. Please let me know if you have additional questions!
Expert:  Jess K replied 6 months ago.
Hello, just checking to be sure you got my answer and see if you had any additional questions. If you do not have additional questions, please take a moment to CLICK AND RATE our conversation so we can know if you were satisfied with your service and I can get credit for helping to answer your question. Thank you and best of luck!!!
Expert:  Jess K replied 6 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Jessica Keay