Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.

Is there a way I can send a picture of a skin lesion??

Customer Question

Category: Cat Veterinary
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Here is the picture
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Another picture
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
He is approximately 13 year old black shorthair domestic cat. Past history of diabetes currently in remission and calicivirus which requires pulse antibiotics every 8 weeks. No licking the spot. I cut the hair away to better see it.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Texture feels somewhat rough. I thought it was a scab initially, but after I cut/pulled the hair away, I saw the darker lesion.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me: Where is this on his body?Does the black tissue feel rough or the cut hair over it?Does it appear to be raised like a lump?Any crusting of the skin on or around it?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you! It's near his right hind leg. There appears to be some crusting. It's not a lump or bump. Hair is not rough.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.
You are very welcome and thank you too.Now when we see dark discoloration of the skin of this nature, we do have 2 considerations.First, we can see benign hyperpigmentation of the skin. This tends to be flat (part of the skin) and is a phenomena that arises when skin is chronically irritated. (It is similar to the way our skin darkens when 'irritated' by the sun too much, though non-reversible). When we see this it is often a side effect of a focal skin disease and we do often see it alongside other skin changes (ie scaling/crusting, itching, redness, etc). And I would note that if you are seeing some crusting (and there does look to be a hint of redness along its edge), we would be suspicious of possible focal irritations (ie ringworm, staph bacterial infection, etc).Otherwise and something we do have to be wary of at his age, we can see this with melanomas. This is skin based form of cancer, though often when it is present it will be raised like a lump or bump. So, we cannot rule it out but it sounds less likely if this is a flat lesions.Now with this all in mind, we do want to tread with care and plan to monitor this closely. If it appears to be growing in size at all, we'd be best to have it checked by his vet (if your lad is due a booster soon, consider moving that appointment up and have this checked at the same time. In the meantime though, you could try some topical supportive care. Now since we do have to consider ringworm for what we are seeing, you will want to wear gloves when handling this. Otherwise, you could choose to bathe the area 2-3 times daily with dilute OTC chlorohexidine wash. Afterwards, you can pat it dry and apply and OTC anti-fungal cream (ie Miconazole, Clotrimazole, etc). The washing will help clear bacteria/fungal spores and the cream will help counter ringworm if present. If the crusting settles (the pigment tends to be permanent or fade with time), then we are happy and can stop treatment 3-4 days after complete resolution. Though if it doesn't or again gets larger (or bumpy), then we'd want to have this checked by his vet to rule out our other concern +/- have it removed to prevent it causing him any bother.Please take care,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.