Dr. Stacy
Dr. Stacy, Veterinarian
Experience:  7 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
21779527

I have 3 week old kittens and their eyes get matted and it's

Customer Question

I have 3 week old kittens and their eyes get matted and it's like the third eyelid covers some of the eyes. I've use distilled water and a soft cloth to clean them but no luck. Then I found online a lot of people having success using tea(no sugar) on their eyes and I tried that but no luck. I know their is veterimycin eye drops for cats but I have ketotifen 0.25% at home and was wanting to know if it would be safe to try on them babies.
Thanks for your help.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 6 months ago.
Thank you for your question. My name is***** I have been a small animal veterinarian for 14 years and I'd like to help with your question. The distilled water is good... saline drops are even better. Most of the time these are viral infections and treating secondary irritation and infection is all you can do. Sometimes these viral infections can lead to corneal ulcers which can be very serious. I would probably stay away from the ketorifen. I don't think it will help because this is not an allergic process and it could actually make it worse. If you want to get some artificial tears or some terramycin that might help. And if they are not getting better have a veterinarian look at them. If there are ulcers they need to be treated aggressively.I hope that helps, but if you have more questions please let me know. If not, please don't forget to rate my answer.