Dr. Stacy
Dr. Stacy, Veterinarian
Experience:  7 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
21779527

My cat was driven back to his home, the house is being

Customer Question

My cat was driven back to his home, the house is being painted and carpeting ripped up, etc. My cat has not peed or pooped in 33 hours that we know of. We have searched the house and nothing found. My cats behavior appears normal, drinking a little bit and eating well. Should I take him to the vet if no pee or peep by morning in 9 hours or find an emergency vet clinic now?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 6 months ago.
Thank you for your question. My name is***** I have been a small animal veterinarian for 14 years and I'd like to help with your question.While it does seem like a long time to no have had a bowel movement or urinate, cats that are really stressed out, especially cats that are stressed out and maybe don't eat or drink normally can seem to 'hold it' it for an astonishing amount of time. As long as he is acting normal, not painful or straining I think it is okay just to keep an eye on him. If you are able to gently press on his belly and see if it hurts that might tell you more. If his abdomen is not painful ( and he's not getting in an out of the litter box acting uncomfortable) it can wait until morning. But check on him a time or two tonight to make sure nothing has changed. If they truly can't go it is a medical emergency, but usually you know because they are miserable and not eating or acting normal.I hope that helps, but if you have more questions let me know. If not, please rate may answer.