Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My cat has been diagnosed with kidney disease. I understand

Customer Question

My cat has been diagnosed with kidney disease. I understand that this is pretty much terminal in cats, so I've come to terms with the idea that putting him down is probably going to be the result. The vet I went to had terrible bedside manner and didn't really give me much information... Just sent me on my way with some pills (of which I can't even read what the medication is on the bottle) and a pack of lactase ringer's with absolutely no instruction as how to administer the fluid. Needless to say, I will not be going there again. Humbert is still eating (though, he's very picky) and drinking. We've always had him on high quality, grain free food, but Friskies canned food is the only thing he will eat right now. I figure that's better than nothing. He drinks water as well, but does spend a fair bit of time sitting and staring into his water bowl, so I know he's not feeling well. Today, I noticed that he had some diarrhea on his paws, and when I went to check the litter box, I noticed he has blood in his stool. I've tried to do some research on whether that's a side effect of the kidney disease or if this is an unrelated issue that I should be concerned about pinning down. I'm working on getting him an appointment with a different vet in town this week, but I want to be as proactive as I can in the meantime. Can you let me know if a bloody stool is a symptom of kidney disease, or is there another issue going on I need to worry about?
Thank you.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.

Hello Ashley,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

I am a small animal vet with many years experience with cats and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again Ashley,

So sorry I hear about your cat, however I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. The vet you have seen may well be an excellent and proficient clinician, but I feel with this sort of chronic disease you need a vet who will take time to explain things in depth and who you can turn to for advice at any time. So it may be as well to form a relationship with a new vet.

2. Bloody stool is not a symptom of kidney disease, but with kidney disease cats often become debilitated and immune suppressed so it is not surprising that they are open to other infections and other diseases from time to time. Most cats with chronic kidney failure just become progressively more lethargic, debilitated, and inappetant { Although they often drink a lot }.

3. I know he is not eating so well but you may want to try and control the bloody by feeding him four or five small light meals in the day. These meals should be the likes of chicken, fish, scrambled egg etc. with a little rice. And if he picks up on this diet gradually reintroduce his normal diet over the next few days. Of course a vet will be able to give you prescription drugs to help with this symptom.

4. Talking of diets there are special prescription diets for cats with kidney disease { Such as hills K/D } your vet can supply these.

5. The outlook for cats with chronic kidney disease is always grave and most cats will deteriorate over time and then pass on { Sorry to be so blunt } In a nutshell realistic treatment options will include fluids as required , these can be given under the skin at home or by your vet IV, special diets if the cat will take them and there are prescription drugs which can help to some degree as well.

6. Here is a link to an accurate article which covers this disease in depth : LINK

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how your cat is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning chronic kidney failure ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,Thank you for your information. We got him to a vet today and we got some different medication to try. Apparently the bloody stool was just a singular instance because it hasn't happened again. I'm going to keep monitoring him.Thanks again!

That sounds encouraging, please do not hesitate to get back to me if I can advise you further ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again Ashley,

Of course I am very glad to have advised you regarding your cat's kidney problem and hope I have done so to your satisfaction. However I wonder if you could possible do me a favour and rate my service to you on the site? This really helps my standing in the Just Answer community.

Kindest regards,

Dr Scott