Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.
55012488

My 5 year old maine coon male cat seems lately to have a

Customer Question

hello -- my 5 year old maine coon male cat seems lately to have a fetish for japanese iris stems -- he usually vomits a nice hair ball around 2 am in the morning as we rush him to the shower so as not to have a smelly bed -- and he knows the drill and meows when he is finished -- is this plant toxic to cats or is this just his way of trying to eliminate his hair -- he is in very good health -- has a gorgeous coat -- had some kidney stones a year ago but seems to be fine -- have him on some vitamins for that issue -- any input would be appreciated as a i do not want another $1200 vet bill or a 2 am run to the vet for things that he comes across in the yard
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 6 months ago.
Autumn, Japanese iris (iris ensata) contains pentacylic terpenoids (zeorin, missourin and missouriensin) and is toxic to cats causing salivation, vomiting, drooling, lethargy, and diarrhea. The highest concentration of the toxins is found in the rhizomes (thickened roots), however. Nevertheless, any iris has no place in the home in which cats live. I believe the the iris is causing his vomiting which brings up hair in his stomach; the hair isn't likely to be the prime cause of his vomiting. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.